Create real-time visual effects.
Our students are badasses.
Start learning for free.
And so much more...
Check out all of the awesome perks you get as a student of Learn Squared.
A dedicated community
Join over 20,000 students from around the world, all dedicated to improving their art. In our community, you will never learn alone.
Invite your friends
Sharing is caring. Especially when it saves you and your friends some money. Refer friends to get discounts and save on purchases.
Track your progress
Learning a new discipline can be a long, daunting process. We make it easy for you to keep track of your progress.
Watch any time
No more semesters. No more access periods. Buy a course to get instant, lifetime access and start learning whenever works for you
All of our courses include downloadable project files. Follow along as you learn using the same working files as your instructors.
Learn from other students experience. Many of our courses include bonus recordings of past mentorship meetings to watch any time.
Sign up any time
No rush. Not like there's any competition out there.
Instant access to portions of this course and dozens of others
No credit card required
- Instant access to this CourseOnce you've signed up for this Course, you'll have unlimited access to it as long as you have an account!
- 16 Hours of lecturesThis includes all of the premium training which is included as a part of this course.
- Download project filesDownload all of the materials created for this course, so you can poke around in the source files, or follow along with the instructor.
- Exclusive communityWhen you become a student, you get instant access to our exclusive Discord channel, where you can chat with thousands of other Learn Squared students.
- Lifetime accessAs a member of this course, you will be able to access and view its content any time.
Get in touch for more information about discounts for teams, both big and small. Big savings either way.
Bundle and save.
Unreal Bundle. Save $41.40
Buy all 4 of our Unreal courses together in a bundle to maximize your learning and save an additional 20% during checkout. Four courses for a low price. You have no more excuses!
- 33 hrs & 14 minsTotal Bundle Duration
- 308 VideosVideo Lectures in Bundle
- Save 20%Bundle Discount
Van Gogh would have given his other ear to learn from artists like this.
Artwork by instructor Tyler Smith
Course Lesson Plan
Here's the low-down on everything covered in this course.
- 16 hours 33 minutesTotal Bundle Duration
- 123 VideosVideo Lectures in Bundle
- 3.04 GB of FilesDownloadable Project Files
Tools Used ?The tools listed below are used throughout the lectures of this course. Using alternatives is definitely possible depending on your proficiency, but we can only recommend using these listed softwares.
- Adobe Photoshop
- Unreal Engine
From the outset, you will learn by doing. After a few basic crash course videos, you will follow along with Tyler step-by-step as he creates a fire effect. Then as you reach certain milestones, you will break down what you've created to better understand it. This way, you'll be hands-on with Unreal from very early on, rather than spending lots of time memorizing things at the beginning. After you've created all the various effects, you'll learn to set dress your scene and capture it for your portfolio.
- 3 hours 59 minutesTotal Lesson Duration
- 37 VideosVideo Lectures in this Lesson
- Project FilesDownloadable Project Files
Basic Fire Crash Course
This lesson will cover the various forms of water. By utilizing your textures, materials and particles in a smart way, you'll be able to re-use certain elements across many different effects. Falling water like rain and waterfalls, bodies of water like pools and streams, and water impacts like splashes and ripples, will all be covered here.
- 3 hours 27 minutesTotal Lesson Duration
- 22 VideosVideo Lectures in this Lesson
Bodies of Water
In this lesson, you will try a new technique to apply wind to your scene. Every asset will be tied to a global wind parameter, so that all objects will blow in the same direction, and can be dynamically modified at the touch of a button. You'll also cover various smaller effects, like blowing cloth, leaves and visible wind gusts.
- 1 hour 22 minutesTotal Lesson Duration
- 11 VideosVideo Lectures in this Lesson
This lesson will focus on living elements that can help your scene feel more natural. To demonstrate the concepts behind the elements of attraction, Tyler will begin by building a magic orb effect. Once you have the basic concepts down, the same principles can be applied to living creatures like birds, fish and insects.
- 2 hours 26 minutesTotal Lesson Duration
- 16 VideosVideo Lectures in this Lesson
This lesson will focus on snow in its various forms. You will begin by creating simple snow covering the ground of your scene, and then move into more dynamic moving elements like snow gusts, falling clumps and fluttering snowflakes. Finally, Tyler will demonstrate another dynamic element often used in Unreal scenes: spraying blood, and the way it impacts with surfaces.
- 3 hours 21 minutesTotal Lesson Duration
- 22 VideosVideo Lectures in this Lesson
This bonus lesson will cover Unreal's new Niagara VFX system. Tyler will take you through the interface, showing you how everything relates to what you've learned in Cascade. Then he will help you recreate the particle effects you made in Cascade within this new ecosystem. You'll also explore exciting effects that you wouldn't have been able to achieve in Cascade, thanks to Niagara's advanced feature set.
NOTE: This lesson is designed to be undertaken after completing the five previous lessons in Cascade. If you skip directly here from the outset, you may be confused unless you're already familiar with the software.
- 1 hour 55 minutesTotal Lesson Duration
- 15 VideosVideo Lectures in this Lesson
Welcome to Niagara
Homework can be cool.
Check out some of the amazing work VFX in Unreal students have created by doing their homework.
There's no homework yet
Any commited homework will be visible here
Our students have awesome jobs.
Join a devoted community of over 20,000 students from around the world.