Our students are badasses.
Start learning for free.
And so much more...
Check out all of the awesome perks you get as a student of Learn Squared.
A dedicated community
Join over 20,000 students from around the world, all dedicated to improving their art. In our community, you will never learn alone.
Invite your friends
Sharing is caring. Especially when it saves you and your friends some money. Refer friends to get discounts and save on purchases.
Track your progress
Learning a new discipline can be a long, daunting process. We make it easy for you to keep track of your progress.
Watch any time
No more semesters. No more access periods. Buy a course to get instant, lifetime access and start learning whenever works for you
All of our courses include downloadable project files. Follow along as you learn using the same working files as your instructors.
Learn from other students experience. Many of our courses include bonus recordings of past mentorship meetings to watch any time.
Sign up any time
No rush. Not like there's any competition out there.
Instant access to portions of this course and dozens of others
No credit card required
- Instant access to this CourseOnce you've signed up for this Course, you'll have unlimited access to it as long as you have an account!
- 8 Hours of lecturesThis includes all of the premium training which is included as a part of this course.
- 19 Hours of bonus contentBonus Content typically includes materials like unedited video recordings, past mentorships, and extra tips & tricks. To see a full list of content, check out the Lesson List below!
- Download project filesDownload all of the materials created for this course, so you can poke around in the source files, or follow along with the instructor.
- Exclusive communityWhen you become a student, you get instant access to our exclusive Discord channel, where you can chat with thousands of other Learn Squared students.
- Lifetime accessAs a member of this course, you will be able to access and view its content any time.
Get in touch for more information about discounts for teams, both big and small. Big savings either way.
Bundle and save.
Characters Bundle. Save $56.80
Buy 5 of our character courses together in a bundle to learn the entire pipeline and save an additional 10% during checkout. Two courses for a low price. You have no more excuses!
- 42 hrs & 8 minsTotal Bundle Duration
- 316 VideosVideo Lectures in Bundle
- Save 20%Bundle Discount
Van Gogh would have given his other ear to learn from artists like this.
Artwork by instructor Philipp Kruse
Course Lesson Plan
Here's the low-down on everything covered in this course.
- 8 hours 17 minutesTotal Bundle Duration
- 52 VideosVideo Lectures in Bundle
Tools Used ?The tools listed below are used throughout the lectures of this course. Using alternatives is definitely possible depending on your proficiency, but we can only recommend using these listed softwares.
- Adobe Photoshop
In this first Lesson, Philipp will show you how to turn the basic building blocks of art into powerful creative decisions. Line, anatomy and lighting all help to convey emotion and meaning in a piece, and you will learn Philipp's particular style of harnessing these elements to fuel his creations. He will then take you through several of his past artworks, to break down exactly what makes them tick.
- 3 hours 2 minutesTotal Lesson Duration
- 18 VideosVideo Lectures in this Lesson
In this Lesson, you will start creating your own character. You'll begin by visiting the Brief Builder to create a set of guidelines for your illustration, giving you the same kinds of constraints you might have when working with a real-world client. After this, you'll gather reference material, organize it, and dive into Photoshop to start sketching. This is where the basis of your character will be formed, so keep an open mind, be ready to iterate on your ideas, and have fun!
- 1 hour 47 minutesTotal Lesson Duration
- 11 VideosVideo Lectures in this Lesson
Now that you have a concept for your character formed, Philipp will take you more in-depth into the design process. You'll focus on details like the linework, clothing, and major focal areas. Then, you'll look back to the design theory of the past two Lessons and assess your project based on those principles. Finally, you will prepare for the painting phase by filling in the linework, adding ambient occlusion and blocking in colors.
- 1 hour 12 minutesTotal Lesson Duration
- 9 VideosVideo Lectures in this Lesson
In this Lesson, Philipp will take you through the process of finishing your illustration and presenting it to a client. You will light your character, render the details, and tie all the visual elements together. Next comes the critical process of re-evaluating your work and making any last-minute changes. And finally, you'll create an attractive beauty shot for your character, which will help to sell the image in client presentations and look great in your portfolio.
- 2 hours 14 minutesTotal Lesson Duration
- 14 VideosVideo Lectures in this Lesson
Homework can be cool.
Check out some of the amazing work Character Illustration students have created by doing their homework.
There's no homework yet
Any commited homework will be visible here
Our students have awesome jobs.
Join a devoted community of over 20,000 students from around the world.